|see more sites in
Historic Friends Church
at Moreno's Restaurant
|The historical marker reads as follows:
IN 1886, A COLONY OF FRIENDS ORGANIZED THE TOWN KNOWN
FIRST AS MODENA, THEN EARLHAM, AND FINALLY EL MODENA.
THEIR CHURCH WAS BUILT ON LAND DONATED BY W. BROWN,
W. SHARPLESS, W. TAYLOR, AND C. WAY, AND WAS DEDICATED
NOVEMBER 6, 1887. THE 40 X 60 FOOT BUILDING, VALUED AT
$3,000, WAS SMASHED BY SANTA ANA WINDS IN DECEMBER
1887, BUT WAS REBUILT A YEAR LATER, THIS SITE SERVED
THE FRIENDS FOR 80 YEARS. THE ORIGINAL BELL IS STILL
USED AT THE NEW LOCATION.
THIS MARKER ERECTED BY COSMOPOLITAN INTERNATIONAL
NOVEMBER 4, 1976
ORANGE BICENTENNIAL COMMISSION
|Located on the same property as the old church is Moreno's restaurant. It has both indoor and outdoor seating. The outdoor patio seating is in a lovely courtyard shaded by a large Pepper tree. Both the atmosphere and the food are excellent. On the back of the menu, there is the following story telling the history of the Friends Church and the restaurant.
|A hundred years ago the table land called El Modena was covered with sagebrush and cactus webbed with sheep and cattle trails. Early in 1886 a town was laid out in the brush country and named Modena, but to eliminate confusion with another town an El was added to the name. The town was soon settled by Colonists from the Middle West who belonged to a Society of Friends, more commonly called Quakers. A Meeting House was needed and in June 1887 work was started on a building located on a two and one-half acre plot on Chapman Avenue donated by four Members of the Congregation. The Whole community co-operated in the project and on August 15, 1887 a Meeting House was dedicated. David Hewes, though not a Quaker, donated a large Church Bell. The building stood high and conspicuous in a land that had few trees and houses. The friends were new-comers to California and were not acquainted with its unusual weather. Their new building was only one month old when a Desert Wind called a Santa Ana roared across the open country and pushed the building from its foundation. The building collapsed and the heavy bell crashed to the ground and completely wrecked the structure. When the wind died down the friends surveyed the wreckage and with no hesitation cleared away the debris and started building again. The second church was built on the lines of the first but was fortified against the weather. For ninety years it stood as a monument in the heart of El Modena.
|Over the years new voices were heard in the community. Spanish became the common language. The friends outgrew their venerable home and in 1967 moved to another meeting place a half-mile away. For nine years their old home stood abandoned until Javier and Nora Moreno rescued the Landmark. They were natives of the community and with nostalgia and long experience in serving tasty food they purchased the property and added a touch of Mexico. The old church building was not changed but was blended into surroundings where the food and hospitality of early California can be enjoyed.
|By Don Meadows
The Historic Friends Church
and Moreno's Restaurant are
located at 4328 E Chapman Ave.
in the city of Orange. See map.
Items of Interest...
|Moreno's Restaurant - official home page
|see more sites in
Copyright © 2002-21 LetsGoSeeIt.com
All Rights Reserved