||Los Angeles, CA
|Bore & Stroke
||5.25 x 5.0 in.
||215 cu in
||Side or L-Head
||Phantom Trans. (see below)
The Tourist was the best-known West Coast make of the era. These
cars used 2 and 4 cylinder water-cooled engines, and were mainly
five-seater touring models. The smaller engines had a sliding
gear friction transmission with the 4 cylinder engine and was
priced at $1,700.
The Auto Vehicle Company which built the Tourist was founded by
William H. Burnham of Orange County, Carrol S. Hartman of
Pasadena, and Willis D. Longyear of Ocean Park. They first designed
a single-cylinder car in 1902 and twelve cars were built that year.
By 1905 the Auto Vehicle Company had moved into a larger building and
trucks were also being manufactured by the company. The company was
soon bought out by the California Automobile Company who produced the
Tourist cars until 1910 after which they decided to design electric
cars. The Tourist model was discontinued.
Note: The Phantom transmission used wood block bands and was produced
by Syracuse Gear Works.
On loan from Gil Klecan of San Diego, CA