1909 International Harvester
"Model A Auto-Wagon"
Donated to the San Diego Automotive Museum
by Ruth E. Stait-Porter
||Air-cooled, 2 cyl
|Bore & Stroke
||5 x 5 inches
||4500, all models 1907-11
||195 cu in
||Overhead, roller cam
||Double chain drive
At the beginning of this new century, one of the most popular
cars is the "all purpose vehicle," one that can carry the
groceries, the lumber for weekend projects, and take the family
on an outing. In 1907, the International Harvester Company
introduced an earlier version of the "one car to do everything"
- the Auto-Wagon. With the rear seat removed, the Auto-Wagon
could participate in daily work around the farm, and on Sunday
with the rear seat in place, it could also carry the family to
church in style. Sold through International dealers that
traditionally handled farm equipment, and built purposely to
look as much like a buggy as possible, these "high-wheelers" had
solid rubber tires and large wheels to allow for high clearance
on the unpaved country roads.
In 1909, Auto-Wagons had horizontally-opposed, air-cooled engines
- located under the front seat and bed - and its rear bed could
be fitted with one or two passenger seats, carrying up to nine
people. The tank on the front of the vehicle with the familiar
IHC insignia is a gas tank, not a radiator, as the air-cooled
engine didn't need a water reserve. By 1911, International
Harvester was building "high-wheelers" in truck form only and less
than a year later, they were out of auto production completely
(although they continued to build trucks for many years).